Projects

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Gateway Continued


My test piece hallway is pretty much finished up now. After the previous round of painting I added some work with weathering powders and some new details. The carved out niche got some old candles, and a discarded sword and a bronze urn were placed near the central pillar. The candles were made from pieces of plastic rod, liquid greenstuff added for melted wax and a piece of wire for the wick. The urn was carved from some modelling clay and is a little rough but works alright. The sword was snipped from the Gripping Beast Saxon Thegns plastic set and was hacked up a bit to give it some age.


  After the details were added I went to work with my weathering powders. I think the wall turned out alright but I put way too much on the floor. I then ended up going back in to tone the stones and dirt down more, which led to a bit of a downward spiral. Eventually I got it back to something I'm happy with again. After that I slapped some grayish dust on everything and moved on.

Flooring after lots of cursing and repainting. 
The larger gateway piece got some more work as well. I puzzled over how exactly to assemble the front so that the hillside blended into the piece but didn't make the interior part to hard to access. I finally settled on making the front part fixed and having a removable section over the corridor. After some carving and lots of test fitting I got a roof made. I tried to make it look like corbelled stone slabs and even though I don't think they'll be seen too much during play I still like them. After that I built up the hill by gluing on some loose pieces of foam to bulk it out. Then I mixed up a paste of glue, wood filler, water, and cut up scraps of foam. I used this to smooth out the shape. I'm hoping that it will work as a light weight filler which I'll apply the ground work over.

My wife thinks that it looks like a cat threw up all over the top of it. Hopefully the resemblance will fade in future stages. 

The underside of the roof section. 
Corridor with roof removed and a couple of Saxons. So far its not too bad moving them around we'll see if it stays that way when its all done. 

The whole thing together with a Saxon for scale. 

8 comments:

  1. Nice work. For some reason, I think the candles are particularly effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful Brian and like Edwin, I was transfixed by the candles - super detailing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That scene looks fantastic. I love the little details like the candles and sword.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. The candles are my favorite part as well but I can't take too much credit as I just followed the recipe on DaggerandBrush's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the small niche with the candles. That is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I think the niches and candles are going to be a repeating feature on future pieces as well.

      Delete
  6. Turned out beautifully. The candles really bring it to life and I am looking forward to see the finished piece. I really like the overall muted, more earthen tones you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, now I just need to find some time to make more progress on the larger piece.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...