Projects

Saturday, May 12, 2012

NVSF?

Back in the saddle with sculpting having gotten some work done both of the last couple of days. I only really do a little bit each time, like the pants, shirt, or an arm, so it seems like a waste putting up progress shots. But at the same time I would like to document the work. I've noticed some other blogs using a workbench feed, Tiny Solitary Soldiers being one, and I'm thinking about doing something similar. I'd also like to spruce up the design of the blog a bit too and I have a couple of ideas for that. Both plans are dependent on me actually figuring out how to do them on Blogger though.


I've also been thinking about my world background. Inspired both by China Mieville's new book Railsea and the video game Dishonored (neither of which is actually out yet but still look cool from the info that is available so far) I'm considering changing my background to a Neo-Victorian future setting. Everything would stay more or less the same just some name changes like Britain would become Albion, and I'd have to come up with new names and historical events. It has the advantage of freeing me of any historical baggage and also gives an explanation for the steam technology, giant monsters, and whatever else I want to throw in there. My term for the setting is Neo-Victorian Steam Fantasy (NVSF). Of course it also means that I have to throw out any historical personages and events, Charles Babbage, Crimean War, The Indian Mutiny, Lady Alda Lovelace, etc. Part of the fun of steampunk to me is the alternate history aspect so that would be disappointing.

Maybe I'm just over thinking the whole thing and should just do whatever I want and then back fill a reason for it's existence later. I'm going to keep pondering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...